Newsletter


Summer 2014

 

 

Cory Tate, 2014-2015  President.

 

Please join us at the Council of Code Officials Quadrennial meeting, August 3-6 in Wilmington

 

W. Cory Tate

Building Inspector

Town of Duck, NC

P.O. Box 8369

Duck, NC 27949

(252) 255-1234

ctate@townofduck.com

 

 

Industry Events

 

See our Meetings Page for up-to-date information 

 

 

NCIAEI Electronic Newsletter

 

Our newsletter continues to be our main form of communication to our members. In addition to our quarterly newsletters, we have continued to send out special announcements for Continuing Education classes and job available. Join our mailing list – go to www.nciaei.org  (Contact us page).

 

 

New Faces and Places

 

Chris Faucette moves up to state post at Department of Insurance. Chris Faucette, supervisor and senior electrical inspector for Alamance County has accepted a position as N.C. State Building Code Enforcement Officer. for the N.C. Department of Insurance. We wish Chris all the best in his new position! 

 

Retirements

 

Mark Case. After 30 years of government service including 18 years with the City of Asheville, Mark Case will be retiring the end of June 2014.  Mark has been a superstar for the City during his tenure.   Mark is the Assistant Development Services Director.  Mark is licensed as a General Contractor and holds Level III certification in Building, Fire, Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing.  Mark lead the efforts in restructuring the City’s Facility Maintenance and the reconstruction of the Public Works Building to house the Development Services Department among other great accomplishments. Mark will be able to spend more time with his wife Carol and dog Ranger who is King of the Castle. Mark also plans to spend more time with this adorable grandchildren at the beach or lake.

Robbie Brooks Honored at Retirement Reception. On June 3, 2014, a reception to honor the retirement of Robbie Brooks was held in Raleigh at the Wake County Shrine Club Cardinal Hall.  There were approximately 65 people in attendance.

Robbie is retired as of June 30, 2014 from the State Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors where he has served as Executive Director for 29 years.  He began his career with the Board in 1979 when he was employed as a Field Representative.  In 1982, he was promoted to Field Representative-Examination Supervisor.  He was promoted to Assistant Executive Director of the Board in March of 1984 and held that position until July 1985 when he was appointed to his current position of Executive Director.

Robbie, formerly of Edenton, NC, is married to Kim Brooks and they have two children – Emily, husband Michael and grandson Oliver who reside in California and Matt who resides in Winston Salem, NC. 

Several friends and colleagues toasted Robbie during the reception.  The highlight of the evening was when Curtis Kennedy, former Executive Director of the Board, presented Robbie with the Order of the Long Leaf Pine.  This award is the highest honor which can be bestowed on a State Employee in North Carolina.

We all wish Robbie the best in his retirement.

 

Job Postings - Please Submit Jobs to NC IAEI

 

We continue to post new positions available and send a special announcement to our mailing list. Some of these postings have resulted in jobs for our members! Remember to send any available openings to greg.smith@nciaei.org

 

 

Safety Reminder

 

Take precautions if using generators during outages.

People often turn to generators when summer storms produce a power outage. Michigan’s state fire marshal says they should take extra safety precautions especially to reduce the risk of succumbing to carbon monoxide, a silent killer that builds up quickly without any warning signs or odors.

Portable generators are useful when temporary or remote electric power is needed, but the primary dangers when using generators are carbon monoxide poisoning from the toxic engine exhaust, electric shock or electrocution, and fire. Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that is invisible and odorless, we need to urge consumers to buy at least one battery-operated carbon monoxide detector and install it near the furnace and utility room. It works like a smoke alarm, sounding an alert if carbon monoxide levels become dangerous.

From 1999 to 2010, nearly 600 generator-related carbon monoxide deaths have been reported to the federal Consumer Product Safety Commission. In recent years, an annual average of 81 deaths have been caused by carbon monoxide poisoning from generator use. The majority of the deaths occurred as a result of using a generator inside a home’s living space, in the basement or in the garage.

During these emergency situations, homeowners can only think of one thing, just getting their power back on. We’re here to say take a few minutes to think about safety to protect your family’s health first and foremost, and then your home.”

Firefighters know firsthand that carbon monoxide can build up quickly, without any warning signs or smells, so much so that it’s considered a silent killer. A common mistake is that homeowners believe that opening windows or running fans will prevent carbon monoxide buildup. While you cannot smell carbon monoxide, it can cause symptoms such as nausea, dizziness, headache, severe drowsiness and a flu-like feeling. If you experience these symptoms, get fresh air and seek help immediately for possible carbon monoxide poisoning in the local hospital emergency room, where professionals will conduct a simple blood test.

Safety tips for using generators:

• Never operate a generator indoors or in an unventilated area. The exhaust contains deadly carbon monoxide fumes.

• Do not store gasoline for a generator indoors. Extinguish all flames or cigarettes when handling gasoline or the generator.

• Make sure you have enough fuel to run a generator for an extended period of time; during a power outage, gas stations may be closed.

• Never refuel a generator while it is running.

• Parts of the generator are very hot during operation. Avoid contact especially with the muffler area. Keep children away at all times.

• Protect the generator from rain and other moisture sources to prevent electrocution

 

 

Continuing Education with NC IAEI

 

Check our website for upcoming Continuing Education Seminars. The classes so far have been well attended and continue to be popular after the Chapter started holding them in different parts of the state, allowing many to gain their CEU’s without overnight travel and other travel expenses. Thanks to Al Parris, the Education committee, all the instructors and others that help make this a success

 

 

On Our Website

 

Remember to check the NC IAEI website regularly! We are making continuous improvements and always have great information on the NEC, Continuing Education class schedules, code interpretations, important documents, new technology and electrical news.